Thursday, March 30, 2006

Down escalators? I'm not so sure

An escalator is so called because it gradually goes up from one point to another. Here I quote the definition of escalate:

To increase, enlarge, or intensify.

To me this means that the term escalator applies only to those that go in the upwards direction. Which leads to a problem - what do you call them if they're going down? My suggestion would be de-escalator. The same applies to "lifts" or "elevators". Don't get me wrong I'm not annoyed about this one, I just think it would make more sense, just a little thought to ponder.


Blogger Dave said...

Its called a desculator you fool!

1:54 p.m., March 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home